SCREENING FOR MORE THAN COVID……
Don’t let people waste your TIME. That is all you have and you can’t reclaim it. This blog is to remind all Notaries of the “SCREENING” they need to do before accepting an assignment or even giving a quote.
First and foremost, you should check if the signer or anyone in that household has COVID, come in contact with anyone who has had COVID or are under quarantine orders. Of course, there is a possibility that they may not tell the truth. If that is the case, be prepared to walk if you suspect that the signer has COVID when you get to the signing.
Other important questions to ask when someone calls you for a quote:
Let them know that you are happy to provide them with a quote but you would appreciate it if they answered a few questions.
1. Are they shopping around for the lowest prices? If that is the case, just give them your bottom-line price and let them know that they can call you after they are done shopping with other notaries.
2. Make sure that you toot your own horn (No one else will!) Let the signer know about your experience, certifications and # of loan signings before they go shopping for a lower price. If they are not shopping, ask them the following questions.
3. What type of document is being notarized? Real Estate, Power of Attorney etc.
4. Do they have the document with them?
5. Does the signer have current and valid ID?
6. Do they have a private area where you can sit down safe distance apart to notarize the document?
7. Try to schedule your appointment during a 2- or 3-hour appointment window in case you are running late. Let them know that you will arrive anytime during that window and they should be available. You can let them know that you will call or text them 30 minutes prior to arrival.
8. Determine method of payment and let them know that you don’t accept personal checks if that is your preference.
9. Ask them if they have any other commitments during the appointment window so you can be adequately prepared.>